Monday, May 23, 2011

Bittersweet

After 10 days of waiting for paperwork to be filed in MN and WI, we were finally given the "go-ahead" to head for home! I was so happy! I was finally going to be able to bring our peanut home to meet the family and I was going to get to be at my house with my husband! Don't get me wrong, it was a wonderful 10 days thanks to my aunt, uncle, and two cousins. They opened up their house and lives to Katelynn and me and made us feel so welcome. But it wasn't home.

I called our birthmother and told her we were able to go home. We wanted to do one last visit before Katelynn and I left. This visit was bittersweet. It is so hard when your happiness and dreams depend on another's sadness and loss. 

For those of you out there that don't know a lot about the adoption and birthfamilies, there is one thing that you need to learn. These birthfamilies choose to create adoption plans for their children because they love them so much! They want them to have a life that they know they cannot provide. Adoption isn't chosen out of selfishness. Birthmothers don't give their children to adoptive families because they don't love them or want them. It is quite the opposite. Our birthmother loves her children so much that she chose to sacrifice her wants in order to give her children the life they deserved. 

We hugged and cried lots and promised that this was just a temporary good-bye. She put her trust in us that we would follow through with the open adoption and we have done our best to keep those lines of communication open and to let this relationship grow. Good thing because it definitely led to more surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment